I can’t believe, I mean I REALLY can’t believe all that has been happening in my life and I am so shocked to see it was FEBRUARY when I last posted.
Crikey… and insert words to that effect.
- I was 50!!! Can only be summarised as fifty and f-ing fabulous!
- A new ladies writing bureau found its way home, thanks to gifts of birthday money.
- I decorated a room that was used by my soon to be ex-husband (yes, thats the big factor this year in my life – dealing with divorce) and, though I HATE decorating, I LOVE the end result. A perfect room for the bureau and I found a perfect chair to pair with it.
- I have drunk LOTS of coffee whilst studying the Masters Degree. I have learnt an important life lesson. One ALWAYS needs good coffee, even if you live on lentil soup for a week to be in a position to afford it.
- I have read numerous NOVELS in the last twelve months. I have always read a lot, every day, well, every night in bed. This last year I have often read during the day too, the best escape therapy there is.
- I started work, one day a week, as a Front of House person at Coldstream Museum. Well, on my working day I AM the staff of Coldstream Museum. The visitors have been wonderfully eccentric and entertaining, the other staff, though I don’t see them very often, are a great laugh and well, a museum. How perfect is that for a job?
- I changed my name. Very empowering. I am still ‘professionally known as’ Helen Cowans and my business is still Helen Cowans Arts. My personal name is now Helen Leighton-Rose. No, it’s not my maiden name, nor my mothers name but a name that wasn’t given by any man, but one I gave my self. Leighton…. Lord…. his house is the MOST stunningly artful house I have ever visited and THAT picture of roses…. well, when I saw it for real it was a jaw-dropping moment I will never forget. So there you are, thats how to choose a name. It is google proof (as in there is only me in a search) but what a pain to type on a. email and b. a couriers scribbly pad thingy.
- PINK. Yes, I started wearing PINK. Then I ordered PINK bedlinen…. and then a rose gold bed….. rocking my internal girly self. Why not.
- Black and greys and grunge haven’t deserted me though and I have retuned to them for the winter, both in sketches and apparel.
- I’ve sold several pieces of work this year, I will summarise soon on another post and Henry is once again a poster boy, this time in the Earth Pathways Calendar.
- Exhibitions ran in the Borders Textile Towerhouse and Gallery 45 in Felton. Sold originals and cards.
- I have spent HOURS, DAYS, WEEKS, MONTHS reading for the MA after I somehow managed to ‘loose’ 6 months of my life through shock and depression…. I was granted a 2 month extension and pleased to say I not only gained a MASTERS DEGREE, but passed with DISTINCTION. Go me!
- The MA could not have been achieved without a. help from friends, b. gifts from friends c. coffee, d. more coffee and e. chocolate.
- I wore (and wear) more red lipstick than ever before. Empowering and attitude forming.
- My son has a new car, he is in love. He cleans it on a regular basis, gives it TLC and it poses for photos. However, being only 4 inches off the road surface, it is not the most suitable car for Northumbrian country road potholes. The exhaust gives a good warning that he’s almost arrived, the sound is distinctive and unmissable.
- Autumn has come, and almost gone, and I had hoped to sell my house by now. Seems not. I have been house hunting, there are option and important decisions to be made. Head for practicality or heart for the countryside. I think it’s the toughest decision I will make. Sometimes you need to put your feet up in Barter Books and have a coffee, cake and natter to mull it all over.
- And FINALLY as I sort and pack the studio I have decided to have a SALE. Samples, small pieces, teaching aids…. they will be priced to sell in a ONE OFF SALE of my artwork. Well two sales, one starting the the first week of December and one in the New Year. Watch this space (and Facebook and Instagram).